Just Diagnosed? What's next?
Your medical practitioner or sleep physician has probably recommended that you use a CPAP machine immediately to reduce the number of sleep apneas during the night and have you feeling the benifits of a good night's sleep snooner. You are advised to hire before buying a CPAP machine and even try alternate units to ensure you get one you're comfortable with.
CPAP has few midical side effects. Although, you may find it uncomfortable at first and you may not sleep properly, perservere and you will be rewarded with new energy, better health and clearer thinking!
The Sleep Apnea Shop rent the latest models from Respironics and we can set the units to work with or without auto-titration. We ensure that our sympathetic, helpful and experienced staff will help you choose the best machine and mask for your needs, or will supply the machine and mask recommended by yur medical practitioner. We also keep a full range of spares and sell other top brands. Expect regular phone calls or emails from the Sleep Apnea Shop to check on your progress.
The Sleep Apnea Shop supplies hireable CPAP machines that are capable of giving nightly reports of your apneas, hypopneas, mask leakage and general usage. There reports are useful to determine how effectively your treatment is being applied. There is no extra charge for these readings frmo machines hired or sold by the Sleep Apnea Shop.
Do not ignore your Obstructive Sleep Apnea disorder. It is a serious problem that can have serious effects on your health and lifestyle.
The more serious health problems from OSA that can result from reduced oxygen going to the brain while sleeping are:
- Hypercapnia or excessive carbon dioxide levels, resulting in a lack of smooth functioning of the body, a compromised immune system and slower healing
- Type II Diabetes - Mild sleep apnea is associated with increased glucose intolerance and insulin resistance - conditions that lead to diabetes.
- Stroke and heart disease - Right-sided heart failure as well as arrhythmia or abnormal heart rhythm (irregular heart beat)
- Sleep apnea disturbs rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. A disruption that increases the risk of obesity.
- Memory impairment, learning difficulties, lack of attention and slower reaction time.